What is Plant? (Hint, it’s not a flower)
Plant is machinery that processes material by way of a mechanical action which:
- Cuts, drills, punches or grinds
- Presses forms, hammers, joins or moulds material
- Combines, mixes, sorts, packages, assembles, knits, or moulds material
Plant also includes lifts, cranes, tractors, earth moving equipment, pressure equipment, hoists, powered mobile plant, plant that lifts or moves people or materials and more. We are focusing specifically on the movement of this equipment around a site in terms of controlling its traffic as it can be fatal if not carried out safely and correctly.
Safe Working Practices for Drivers
Driver’s of plant and machinery should ensure that they:
- Follow site procedures, comply with all site rules, do not drive at excessive speed limits and ensure loads are safe to transport
- Do not drive when their abilities are impaired by ill health, poor vision, prescribed or illegal drugs, or alcohol
- Ensure the windows and mirrors are kept clean and clear and keep the vehicle tidy and free from obstructions
- Do not allow passengers to ride on vehicles unless safe seating is provided, and park vehicles on flat ground if possible
- Do not smoke during refuelling operations, and do not make adjustments with the engine running and guards removed
- When visibility from the driving position is restricted, use visibility aids or a signaller, and stop if visibility becomes defective
- Make sure you fully understand the operating procedures and safe operating limitations of their vehicle
- Do not reverse without checking behind the vehicle for pedestrians, vehicles or obstructions
Traffic Control Measures
To assist in making plant and machinery movement safe, traffic controls should be employed on site. These include:
Overall, transport hazards and the risks they present need to be identified and assessed. Removing hazards and reducing and controlling risks is essential. A risk assessment should be conducted for all transport activities including: vehicle arrival and departure, loading and unloading, movement around site, and maintenance works. Moreover, ensure that Housekeeping is at a good level in order to have enough visibility around the site and improve safety awareness.
If you would like to feel more confident in completing risks assessments for your plant, we are offering 10% OFF our RoSPA Accredited Risk Assessment Online Training Course for this month only!