Week Commencing 23/09/2019 – In the News

WA Management Reveals New Communication Skills Course!

10% Off Communication Skills CourseWA Management are pleased to announce a new Communication Skills Online Training Course to add to their e-learning collection! This course is perfect for any employee who wishes to improve how they communicate on a daily basis, both verbally and non-verbally. 

The course features:

  • How to choose the best channel of communication
  • Tips and techniques for verbal and nonverbal communication
  • How to overcome barriers to effective communication

As an added bonus, you can get 10% OFF the course with the code ‘New19’ but use it quick as it will only last until the end of the month! For more info, you can check out the Communication Skills Course Page or get in touch!

Two Workers Killed in Explosion at Former Steelworks Site

A factory with smoke billowing out it's towers, in black and white.Tragically, on the 19th September, two workers were killed in an explosion at a SSI site in South Bank, Middlesbrough. Fire crews were called to the old coke ovens and Cleveland Police confirmed the two deaths, caused by a ‘huge’ explosion. The two workers were working at height inside a cherry picker, near a gas holder, when the explosion happened. The site was evacuated and firefighters stayed overnight at the scene, to continually monitor the site. The bodies were recovered and their families have been receiving professional support and help from Cleveland Police. Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen said: “We will examine every single detail of the work that was being conducted. We will make sure we do everything to understand exactly what happened.”

You can read more on the case from SHPOnline HERE.

Company Director Imprisoned After Worker Impaled on Spike

Wheels of a truck with a red centre, with another green truck behind them.Hafeez Ghafoor, formerly a director of the now-dissolved landscaping company R K United Ltd, has been sentenced after his worker was impaled on a spike in August 2016. This happened when the employee was using a lorry loader crane to deliver a load of soil to a new house in Leeds. His left arm was impaled on a spike which was protruding from the control system, causing several bones in his arm to be shattered. A HSE investigation found the crane had severe defects, including a disabled safety system, and part of the safety guard around the controls had been cut off, exposing the spike. In addition, the worker had not received appropriate training to operate the lorry loader crane. Mr Ghafoor was given a 12-month prison sentence, a suspension of two years and ordered to undertake 200 hours of community service.

You can read more on the case from the HSE HERE.

Tree Service Company Fined After Employee’s Finger Severed

A view from the ground up of a large tree.Josh Noon Tree Services has been fined £3,100 with costs of £6,019.90 after their employee, Darren Gillespie, suffered severe hand injuries. His hand became caught in a log splitting machine, resulting in a severed and amputated finger. The HSE investigation found that due to a lack of guarding or two-handed controls, the machine involved in the incident presented a foreseeable risk of serious injury to operators. The inclusion of a second person loading logs onto the splitter increased the likelihood that a serious injury would occur. The court heard that even after surgery, Mr Gillespie still suffers from pain. The HSE also added that the incident has significantly impacted his ability to continue work as a tree surgeon.

You can read more on the case from the SHPOnline HERE.

Tata Steel Site Incident Results in Contractor Death

A factory made up of metal scaffolding and towers.A contractor has died in a machinery incident at a Tata Steel site in Port Talbot. An investigation by the police and the HSE has been launched after a male contract worker was killed on Wednesday (25 September), in what has been described as an ‘isolated incident’. It happened at about 14:00 and an air ambulance was on the scene shortly afterwards. A hazardous response area team was also in attendance. Tata Steel said that a ‘full investigation’ was underway and that its thoughts are with the friends and family of the victim. This is not the first incident Tata Steel has had this year, with two workers being injured in April following an explosion caused by a liquid iron spillage.

You can read more on the case from the SHPOnline HERE.