November 2015 – In the News

‘Obvious’ Risk Ignored by Hotel Chocolat

Hotel Chocolat, the Chocolate manufacturer, has been prosecuted after a worker suffered serious hand and arm injuries whilst cleaning a machine tank.

Piotr Podgorski, 35, from Bretton, in Peterborough, was working as a cell supervisor for the company on 16 August 2014 when he was asked to clean the tank of a chocolate enrobing machine so it could be reassembled for production.

Peterborough Magistrates’ Court was told that Mr Podgorski was emptying the tank when a blue cloth he was holding became entangled in the rotating stirrer mechanism. The cloth continued to wrap around his finger, twisting his arm and then tearing the finger off, stripping the tendon from his arm. He was unable to work for over two months and still suffers with depression and nightmares about the incident.

To read the full story on the SHPonline website, click HERE

HSE Cost Recovery Fees Jump 40%

Cost recovery invoices issued to construction companies by the Health & Safety Executive have increased sharply since the scheme was introduced three years ago.

The Fee for Intervention cost recovery scheme was launched in October 2012 and allows the HSE to charge those breaking health and safety laws for the costs of investigatory and enforcement work undertaken by the executive.

Analysis from law firm Pinsent Masons shows that in August 2015, the average cost of an invoice under the scheme was over £700, an increase of 40% since it began.

To read the full story on the Construction Index website, click HERE

International Tyre Firm Fined After 17 year old Apprentice Injured in Lathe

Tyre manufacturer Pirelli Tyres Limited has been prosecuted after a 17-year-old apprentice suffered serious injuries to his hands while using a metalwork lathe.

The teenager was making a trolley for a tool box on 19 August 2014 at the firm’s site in Burton where he was working as a mechanical maintenance apprentice.

Stafford Magistrates’ Court heard the apprentice was making a spindle for the wheels of the trolley using emery cloth whilst wearing gloves to perfect the finish. The spindle was fitted to a lathe and the cloth snagged pulling Mr Powell into the lathe. He suffered several breaks to his fingers and wrist and one finger was partially severed.

To read the full story on the HSE website, click HERE

Four in Ten Business Drivers Given License Points

Almost four in ten business drivers have been given points on their license from work-related driving offences, according to research from Masternaut, a provider of fleet telematics.

In total, 39 per cent of business drivers admitted that they had received points on their license for work-related driving misdemeanours while 64 per cent disclosed that the points on their license was due to speeding offences.

Other offences committed by business drivers include driving without reasonable consideration for other road users (15 per cent), driving without due care or attention (14 per cent), traffic light-related offences (14 per cent) and dangerous driving (10 per cent).

To read the full story on the SHPonline website, click HERE

Working Together to Tackle Workplace Dust

Partnership Team works to reduce the risk of quarry workers developing lung disease by raising awareness of the health risks, improving workers knowledge of dust and promoting good working practices. Marie Warburton reports

Silica is a natural mineral present in varying amounts in materials such as sand, sandstone and granite. When these materials are crushed or abraded during quarrying and associated mineral processing activities, very fine airborne dusts may be generated, including respirable crystalline silica (RCS), which is recognised as a significant cause of silicosis and other lung diseases.

Quarrying is a complex, high energy industry with many opportunities for airborne dust, including RCS, to be created and it is important to apply dust control measures to prevent or minimise exposure wherever possible.

To read the full story on the SHPonline website, click HERE

Subway Sentenced after Woman Trapped in Chiller Overnight

Subway, the fast food restaurant franchise, has been sentenced after a woman spent the night trapped in a chiller after a door handle stopped working.

Mr Vicoli, CM Ventures Limited the franchisee of a Gloucester food outlet was found guilty of failing to comply with section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. M

The Court were told that the incident happened late one evening on 29 December 2014 at Subway in Gloucester’s Kings Walk, involving a female lone worker.  The woman had needed to go into the walk-in chiller but when she tried to get out she found the internal handle to release the door was not working.

Despite her attempts to open the door the employee remained trapped in the chiller where she remained all night until she was discovered when a colleague opened the store the next morning.  Food safety legislation requires that the temperature in the chiller was maintained at or below 5OC and it is therefore fortunate that she did not suffer any lasting health effects from her ordeal.

To read the full story on the SHPonline website, click HERE

CSCS Card Fraud Update

A recent BBC Newsnight investigation identified CSCS cards were fraudulently obtained via cheating at an accredited test centre. The undercover investigation identified a member of staff helping candidates complete their CITB Health, Safety and Environment Test (HS&E Test).

CSCS cards are issued based on applicants having the necessary qualifications for the job they carry out and passing the appropriate CITB HS&E Test.

Industry’s response to the Newsnight investigation has been swift and thorough.

To read the full story on the SHPonline website, click HERE